mounting a UFS formatted flash disk on a Linux box

I have a USB flash disk with a UFS file system. If your asking why my flash disk is on UFS, well, it's a long story and completely irrelevant to this post. Here's how I got it mounted on my laptop running on Ubuntu.


I successfully mounted it on my lappy using:
sudo mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=44bsd /dev/sdb1 /mnt

The are lots of ufstype options: old, 44bsd, 5xbsd, ufs2, nextstep... just to name a few. If you don't specify a ufstype option it will default to old, which in my case didn't work. Then, I tried ufs2 and it also failed.

I recalled using the O1 option when I formatted my flash disk, like this:
newfs -O1 /dev/da0s1a

The O1 option is used for ufs1 format. So, I tried 44bsd because it's the closest thing to old that isn't ufs2. Heh. Well, 44bsd did the trick. I didn't bother testing 5xbsd. But, I'm guessing it would work too.

No comments: